Have an off-site Partner Meeting with your mate once a month to discuss how it’s going, how each child is doing, what you would like to change and to make new goals. Keys to success …
- Prepare for the meeting. Make a list and notes.
- Stay positive and avoid anger.
- Go with the foundation belief that everything is just a mechanical problem, everyone is good and everything is fixable.
- Meet in a restaurant with booths for private conversation.
- Mom can’t cry.
- Dad can’t shout.
- The conversation should be about circumstances and not about each other (ad hominum)
- Have no alcohol before and only coffee or tea during the meeting. Eating is too complicated and distracting and may cause stomach ache. This is a serious meeting.
- Define the problem. Devise and problem solve solutions. Make a plan and a secret signal between you to remind each other of your new goals.
A plan of this sort reduces daily argument. One tends to save an issue for Partner Meeting and add more thoughts about it, calm thoughts, problem solving thoughts throughout the month.
Ignoring parenting problems is embedding the consequences forever and probably for generations.
What you accept, you teach.